Sunday, August 12, 2012

Weight Loss Update: 08/12/12

Today's number is:

 The scale reports I've lost 3.5 pounds over the past two weeks bringing my current weight to 282 pounds and my total weight loss to 204 pounds. This brings my continuous weight loss streak to 18 months, averaging 11.3 pounds per month, but also marks the second weigh-in in a row where I've not met my goal of 1% body weight per week.  

 Things that have been going on over the past two weeks:

  I have not exercised consistently over the past two weeks.  In fact, for over a week I have done no yoga and not ridden my unicycle at all, and have restricted my walking considerably.  The reasons for this are twofold.  First, my wife has been gone and while she was away I had projects I wanted to accomplish around the house.  Hours of exercise every day limit the amount of work I can accomplish and so to maximize my productivity I nixed the exercise.  Also, I wanted to see how reducing the exercise would affect my weight loss.  I know that sharply increasing my exercise level hasn't really translated to increased weight loss.  Would sharply decreasing it have an effect?  I think I'm leaning towards moderate exercise being the key to weight loss, which, incidentally, is similar to what Dr. McDougall recommends.
 I have also decided to take a break from the unicycle for a while.  Not permanently, but for a while.  Perhaps I'll try it again after another 20 pounds weight loss or so.

 Those who are very familiar with my weight loss journey know that gall bladder issues played a big role in finally motivating me towards dietary change.  I have been free of gall bladder symptoms for the 18 months since!  Until last week.  I had, by far, the worst gall bladder attack that I've ever had.  How bad was it?  My standard comment about the E.R. is that I'll go to the E.R. when I'm weak enough that you can strap me to a gurney and take me there against my will.  Well, I would have gone to the E.R. had my wife been home to drive me there, that's how much pain I was in.  I couldn't have possibly driven myself and being as stubborn as I am I told myself if it wasn't better by morning that I'd call someone.  The attack included vomiting, nausea, and intense pain.  It peaked after about 4 hours and started to subside after about 6 hours, and over the next 4 hours after that really eased up.  By the next day it was gone.  Since then I've noticed a bit of belching but nothing serious.
 I do not know what brought this attack on.  My diet is consistently very low fat with no added fats of any kind.  I have read of people who've had past gall bladder issues flare up and cause them misery even after extended periods of perfect diet.  Perhaps it was the passing of a gall stone that finally decided to do something?  Who knows.  I do know I don't want to go through that again so will mention it to my doctor at my next appointment.

 That is all!

 Happy Eating!

-Norm  aka John Smith


No comments:

Post a Comment