Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Looking Back: One Year Ago Today

One year ago today I was 134 pounds heavier than I am today!  Let's look at where I was one year ago, and what my mindset was.

====================================================================

March 13th, 2011

 I had a doctors appointment today.  My doctor has a new scale!  This one goes up high enough to weigh me, and it reports 476 pounds.   I have not weighed myself since October 2010, at another doctors office, when I weighed 486 pounds.  I've dropped 10 pounds in 6 months.
 I've been thinking a lot about food, health, and weight in these past six months.  I've honestly tried eating less.  I've been watching a lot of videos with my wife.  Videos about how scary and unhealthy our modern food production is.  I watched a video in December that really made an impression on me.  It was of Dr. Neal Barnard talking about reversing diabetes with a vegan diet.  I don't have diabetes, yet, but everything he said in the video made complete sense to me.  But I could never live without my meat, dairy, and butter!  I would have totally dismissed his entire presentation except he said in one part of the video that if we can't give up all the bad food, at least start adding in more good food.  Among the good foods he mentioned were whole grains.  This really struck a chord with me, as I have friends who do a lot with whole grains.  They buy all sorts of grains in bulk, grind their own flour from wheat, bake their own bread, make their own pasta, etc.   So in the past couple of months I have researched and purchased my own grain mill!!   Here is a picture of me with my brand new grain mill!!


====================================================================

This is where I started, one year ago!!  I started off unwilling to even consider giving up my meat and dairy, but I was willing to add in whole grains!  I started baking my own bread.  I started eating oats and barley for breakfast.  I continued to eat as much food as ever, but these changes alone caused me to start losing weight!!  At first about a pound a week, then more.  I'll chronicle all the changes in my diet that occurred along the way in future blog posts.    Note: In the picture above, notice my wedding ring.   I can no longer wear it on that finger without it falling off.

-Norm  aka John Smith

1 comment:

  1. Oh Normie, I am so proud of you and the choices you've made! Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. One of these days you gotta give me a bit of a lecture so I can finally get the 30lbs off my butt.

    ReplyDelete